“I want to have a career that evolves as I go on,” said Ed Sheeran. A job in Ipoh is a great starting point for a blossoming career. However, like the pop star, we all want our careers to grow and prosper, especially if we are to begin a profession in one of the country’s largest cities. How do we do this? We list down tips below on how you can impress your bosses and get that promotion you deserve.
- Stop the chatter. Office gossip, especially in a big company, cannot be avoided. As much as possible, stay away from gossip mongers. If it cannot be avoided when you hear other workmates talking about colleagues and your boss, stay neutral. Do not feed off gossip and do not help spread stories whether it be true or not. Remember that gossip hurts two people, the one who is being talked about, and the one who is doing the talking.
- Praise others and show humility. Win over colleagues by genuinely complimenting them on their work. Not only will you be making new friends, you can also ask them for help for future tasks that you have problems with. They will be reliable officemates whose work you have seen, so you can trust that they will do a good job with you. If another officemate sings your work praises, say thank you and stay humble. People in your office can be your contacts for an expanding network, so it is best to not burn bridges and keep a positive outlook.
- Do more than is expected of you Pitch in ideas and participate in tasks that you enjoy even though these do not cover your job description. This will impress the bosses, prove that you value your job and show that you are capable of doing other things than you are regularly responsible for. This will also show the bosses your potentials as well as your talents.
- Continue on learning Browse online articles, watch videos, and even sign up for short term courses that you feel are related to your chosen career. If you have the time, you may even apply for a Masters degree, and if you are lucky your company might even have a scholarship program.
- Show off those leadership skills. The best way to progress with your career and get a promotion is to demonstrate that you can be a good leader. Initiate projects, share your knowledge, and do not hesitate to take the lead in certain tasks. Show the bosses that you are a responsible individual who they can trust to leave the operations of the company to.
As you apply these tips to your work life, remember that it is always up to you to achieve the success that you would want to have. We wish you luck in a scoring that big promotion.